Armored Vehicle Sway Bars
Improve Handling and Drivability
Armored vehicles have significant weight increases which dramatically change the handling characteristics. The additional weight of armored vehicles negatively changes the way it handles, it’s less stable. Hellwig sway bars solve this problem with upgraded sway bars. The sway bars dramatically help with with the performance and handling of the vehicle and make it safer to drive by giving more vehicle control to the driver.
Hellwig currently has armored sway bars for Suburbans, Tahoes, Tacomas, and Land Cruisers.
Free eBook for Armored Vehicle Operators.
Click on the book cover image below for free, instant access to our eBook, “How to Get Better Performance from Armored Vehicles.” It’s packed full of tips about improving fuel economy, driver safety, extending the useful life of armored vehicles and there’s even a list of top phone apps for armored vehicle owners! Get it free by clicking on the book cover below.
If we don’t have the sway bar for your armored vehicle please call, we have a full research and development team. 800 367-5480
How to Improve Handling and Drivability of Armored Vehicles
Armored vehicles carry more stress-induced weight than a contestant on The Biggest Loser. Depending on the vehicle, it could be hauling anywhere from 500 to 6,000 extra pounds in armored weight.
Significant armoring affects a vehicle’s center of gravity and puts more stress on mechanical components. This can cause significant handling problems when driving, especially around turns.
To help improve the handling and drivability of your armored vehicle, follow the tips in this article. It includes parts and driving tips to help you out.
Install Sway Bars
Installing armored vehicle sway bars greatly enhances handling and drivability. The driver has more control over the vehicle with sway bars, especially around sharp turns.
Sway bars significantly enhance cornering traction for safer turning. Your tires will better grip the road around sharp turns because vehicle weight will be evenly distributed. Sway bars give you a much more secure feeling to handle:
- Strong winds
- Passing trucks on the highway
- Winding roads
The bottom line is that quality sway bars are a must on armored vehicles. Weight will be evenly distributed giving you a smoother and more enjoyable ride.
Get Stiffer Springs
Considering the amount of armored weight the vehicle will need to support, you’ll want to go with springs that have a higher spring rate. The higher the spring rate, the stiffer the springs.
Stiffer springs will help to reduce the amount of sag caused by the armored protection. A good set of springs will help to compliment your vehicle’s sway bar for a more stable ride.
Upgrade the Shocks
Because you’ve gotten stiffer springs, you’ll also want to be sure the armored vehicle is outfitted with high quality shocks. A good set of shocks will help keep the tires from bouncing, which improves traction.
Your armored vehicle will drive a lot smoother over bumpy surfaces because the shocks will better dampen the springs to minimize bouncing.
Check Wheels and Braking
You’ll also want to check the wheels and braking. Regularly examine the vehicle’s alignment to ensure it is not pulling to one side. This will help to reduce tire wear, giving you better grip and traction.
Because your vehicle carries so much weight, stopping ability is very important. Slotted braking rotors can help to improve stopping ability. They also have been shown to reduce brake fade and rotor temperatures to ensure optimal braking functionality.
Promote Responsible Driving
Finally, it’s important to make sure that all of your armored vehicle operators drive responsibly. All drivers should be properly trained on how to operate the vehicle. Remind your drivers to:
- Check mirrors before driving
- Watch mirrors when making turns
- Slow down around turns
- Begin braking earlier
- Always know the height of the vehicle
Following these driving tips will help to significantly improve the handling and drivability of your armored vehicles.
For maximum improvements in handling, you want to follow as many tips in this article as possible. Start by installing quality sway bars for your armored vehicle and go from there. This will help to significantly reduce swaying.
For added benefits, then consider spring and shocks as well as braking solutions. Always be sure to follow maintenance schedules on all of your armored vehicles. You’ll enjoy a lot smoother and safer ride.
To improve armored vehicle handling, visit www.HellwigProducts.com. There, you’ll find sway bars that are specifically made for armored vehicles. We’d also like to thank
SSBC Performance Brake Systems for being our brake experts. Be sure to visit them for your brake parts needs.
Fleet Management Software: 10 Things You Must Know Before Buying
For fleet managers of armored vehicles, having the right fleet management software can really help to keep your vehicles on the road.
With fleet management software, you can automate vehicle maintenance and service by:
- Developing automated maintenance schedules
- Creating detailed maintenance budgets to cut costs
- Sending email reminders to fleet users about maintenance
Do you know how to select the right fleet management software? To help you, here are 10 things to do before buying any software.
- Write Out What You Want the Software to DoYou want to articulate what you want the software to do. This will help you find the right management software for your fleet of armored vehicles. This will also assist you when talking to vendors. Have a meeting with your team to chat about the software to figure out what you want it to do.
- Examine Cost vs. ValueAs you begin your research, you’ll probably be comparing prices. Don’t let yourself get too fixated on price tags. It’s important to examine the total cost versus the total value. To do this, look at the software features that you see as an actual benefit. Then examine how those features will cut costs at your business. This will help you establish the value of the software.
- Look at CompatibilityWill the software be compatible with the computers and other hardware that you currently use? This is sometimes a problem if you have older computers. Talk with the software provider to find out if there will be any compatibility issues.
- Ask About Pricing & FeesAs you begin to talk to vendors, ask them to layout their pricing plan. See if there are any additional fees associated with the pricing. Sometime companies will add fees for implementation, maintenance and upgrades.
- Check on User LimitSome software vendors limit the number of users. That means you may have to spend a little more so that all of your employees have access. Talk with the company about their pricing structure. Be sure to tell them how many people will use the software along with the number of computers that will need it.
- Try a Demo VersionIt’s always important to test-drive the software before purchasing it. Don’t take the vendor’s word on its simplicity and ease of use. Have them give you a demonstration or ask for a test version of the software. When trying out the software, have the employees who will be using it test it out. Find out from them what they like and dislike about the software.
- Ask About UpgradesCheck to see how often the software has been updated in the last 10 years. Typically good fleet management programs are updated every three to four years. You’ll want to purchase software that is regularly updated to ensure it works properly with your computer system.
- Get ReferencesAsk the vendor to provide references of non-competing companies that enjoy the software. When talking with references, ask about ease of use as well as any problems. To be safe, also do a little online research. Look for online reviews about the software. If you find any complaints or red flags, you’ll want to address these issues with the vendor.
- Find Out About Technical SupportIt’s important to ask about technical support. See what type of troubleshooting assistance is offered during the setup process and the life of the software. You’ll want to find out the hours of support as well as the contact information (phone, email, etc.).
- Don’t Assume the Software Will Cure All ProblemsFinally, don’t assume that the fleet management software is going to cure every single problem. This type of software helps to improve productivity and performance, but it’s not a cure-all solution. The sooner you are aware of this, the easier it will be to incorporate the software into your daily routine.
Using this software will make fleet management a lot smoother. To create a smoother armored vehicle ride, consider getting armored vehicle sway bars. This helps to dramatically improve the performance and handling of your vehicle.
You can find out more about sway bars by visiting our website at www.HellwigProducts.com.
Top Smartphone Apps for Armored Vehicle Operators and Drivers
Driving your armored vehicle just got easier.
Thanks to smartphones, there are tons of new apps that make your job a lot easier and less stressful. Here are some of our favorite apps for armored vehicle operators and drivers.
- Read important documents on the go with Documents to Go. This smartphone app allows you to view digital documents right on your smartphone. You can view a variety of formats including Microsoft Word and Adobe PDF. This app is priced at $9.99 for the iPhone.
- Remember important things with Evernote. Save ideas, tasks and other important information right on your phone. Evernote allows you to save text-based and audio notes right on your phone. It will make it easy to report faults experienced during a day’s activity. This app is free for most smartphones.
- Have an interactive map on your phone with Google Maps Mobile. This app is packed full of detailed maps. It includes 3D maps to help orient yourself in areas with tall buildings and narrow streets. Google Maps Mobile also includes turn-by-turn directions. This app is free for Android phones.
- Keep track of route mileage with Milog. This app makes it a breeze to record mileage. It’s easy to enter mileage and search for previous trip information. It can really come in handy when you need to track mileage. This app is priced at $3.99 for the iPhone.
- Disable texting and email features while driving with TextArrest. This app will lock the phone’s screen when your vehicle is traveling faster than 5 mph. This helps to keep you focused on your job. TextArrest is free for Android and BlackBerry phones. However, advanced features start at $7.99/month.
- Keep track of daily tasks with Wunderlist. This app makes it easy to keep up on daily tasks. You can set up automated reminders, so you never forget those important jobs. You’ll never forget cleaning your vehicle out at the end of a shift with Wunderlist. This app is free for most smartphones.
- Reduce stress on the job with MyCalmBeat. Monitor your breathing rate to help get through those stressful situations. MyCalmBeat promotes calmness through easy-to-do breathing exercises. This app is free for the iPhone, Android and BlackBerry phones.
- Find low gas prices with the GasBuddy App. This is a great app if you need to fill your vehicle up at a gas station off-site. It helps you find the lowest nearby gas prices. This app is free and is available on most smartphones.
- Find a good place to eat lunch with AroundMe. You can find nearby places for sandwiches or coffee with your smartphone. The app uses your phone’s GPS to pinpoint nearby spots for lunch. This app is free for iPhone and Android phones.
- Keep track of your vehicle’s maintenance with aCar. This app is great at keeping track of oil changes as well as mileage. You’ll be sure that your vehicle is always in great shape.
These are some of our favorite smartphone apps. To make your ride even smoother and more enjoyable, consider getting armored vehicle sway bars. This helps to dramatically improve the performance and handling of your vehicle.
You can find out more about sway bars by visiting our website at www.HellwigProducts.com.